

FOIA MARKER

This is not a textual record. This is used as an administrative marker by the William J. Clinton Presidential Library Staff.

Collection/Record Group: Clinton Presidential Records

Subgroup/Office of Origin: National Service

Series/Staff Member: Shirley Sagawa

Subseries:

OA/ID Number: 24268

FolderID:

Folder Title:

Calendars, Sagawa - March 1996 [2]

Stack:

S

Row:

66

Section:

1

Shelf:

9

Position:

2

Withdrawal/Redaction Sheet

Clinton Library

DOCUMENT NO. AND TYPE	SUBJECT/TITLE	DATE	RESTRICTION
001. note	re: Shirley Sagawa - Calendar; Personal (Partial) (1 page)	03/20/1996	b(6)
002. voucher	re: [Personally Identifiable Information] [Partial] (1 page)	03/26/1996	b(6)

COLLECTION:

Clinton Presidential Records
National Service
Shirley Sagawa
OA/Box Number: 24268

FOLDER TITLE:

Calendars, Sagawa - March 1996 [2]

2013-0661-F

jp4949

RESTRICTION CODES

Presidential Records Act - [44 U.S.C. 2204(a)]

- P1 National Security Classified Information [(a)(1) of the PRA]
- P2 Relating to the appointment to Federal office [(a)(2) of the PRA]
- P3 Release would violate a Federal statute [(a)(3) of the PRA]
- P4 Release would disclose trade secrets or confidential commercial or financial information [(a)(4) of the PRA]
- P5 Release would disclose confidential advice between the President and his advisors, or between such advisors [(a)(5) of the PRA]
- P6 Release would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy [(a)(6) of the PRA]

C. Closed in accordance with restrictions contained in donor's deed of gift.

PRM. Personal record misfile defined in accordance with 44 U.S.C. 2201(3).

RR. Document will be reviewed upon request.

Freedom of Information Act - [5 U.S.C. 552(b)]

- b(1) National security classified information [(b)(1) of the FOIA]
- b(2) Release would disclose internal personnel rules and practices of an agency [(b)(2) of the FOIA]
- b(3) Release would violate a Federal statute [(b)(3) of the FOIA]
- b(4) Release would disclose trade secrets or confidential or financial information [(b)(4) of the FOIA]
- b(6) Release would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy [(b)(6) of the FOIA]
- b(7) Release would disclose information compiled for law enforcement purposes [(b)(7) of the FOIA]
- b(8) Release would disclose information concerning the regulation of financial institutions [(b)(8) of the FOIA]
- b(9) Release would disclose geological or geophysical information concerning wells [(b)(9) of the FOIA]

Withdrawal/Redaction Marker

Clinton Library

DOCUMENT NO. AND TYPE	SUBJECT/TITLE	DATE	RESTRICTION
001. note	re: Shirley Sagawa - Calendar; Personal (Partial) (1 page)	03/20/1996	b(6)

COLLECTION:

Clinton Presidential Records
National Service
Shirley Sagawa
OA/Box Number: 24268

FOLDER TITLE:

Calendars, Sagawa - March 1996 [2]

2013-0661-F
jp4949

RESTRICTION CODES

Presidential Records Act - [44 U.S.C. 2204(a)]

- P1 National Security Classified Information [(a)(1) of the PRA]
- P2 Relating to the appointment to Federal office [(a)(2) of the PRA]
- P3 Release would violate a Federal statute [(a)(3) of the PRA]
- P4 Release would disclose trade secrets or confidential commercial or financial information [(a)(4) of the PRA]
- P5 Release would disclose confidential advice between the President and his advisors, or between such advisors [(a)(5) of the PRA]
- P6 Release would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy [(a)(6) of the PRA]

C. Closed in accordance with restrictions contained in donor's deed of gift.

PRM. Personal record misfile defined in accordance with 44 U.S.C. 2201(3).

RR. Document will be reviewed upon request.

Freedom of Information Act - [5 U.S.C. 552(b)]

- b(1) National security classified information [(b)(1) of the FOIA]
- b(2) Release would disclose internal personnel rules and practices of an agency [(b)(2) of the FOIA]
- b(3) Release would violate a Federal statute [(b)(3) of the FOIA]
- b(4) Release would disclose trade secrets or confidential or financial information [(b)(4) of the FOIA]
- b(6) Release would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy [(b)(6) of the FOIA]
- b(7) Release would disclose information compiled for law enforcement purposes [(b)(7) of the FOIA]
- b(8) Release would disclose information concerning the regulation of financial institutions [(b)(8) of the FOIA]
- b(9) Release would disclose geological or geophysical information concerning wells [(b)(9) of the FOIA]

Sagawa, Shirley

Wednesday, March 20, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	
:30	Kathi Dennis re VISTA PSO's
10:00	
:30	Nick Littlefield/David O/Gene S & others (you requested this meeting) Room 644 Dirksen
11:00	
:30	
12:00	(b)(6)
:30	
1:00	
:30	
2:00	
:30	
3:00	
:30	
4:00	Tea w/Emily & Nicole (?) Do you want to go to the Hay Adams or the...
:30	
5:00	
:30	
6:00	
:30	
7:00	
:30	

To Do (Active):

3 3-4 p.m. Field Mgmt Team in...
3 Avelina CQI 2-4 p.m. starts on...

3/20/96

[CQI]

Don't know this

CLINTON LIBRARY PHOTOCOPY

Thompson, Avelina

From: Gray, Tracy
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 1996 10:32 AM
To: Carpenter, Patricia - CNCS/HQPO1/PCARPENT; Flowers, Vivian - CNCS/HQPO1/VFlowers; Jefferson, Milinda; Perdue, Patricia; Thompson, Avelina - CNCS/HQPO1/ATHOMPSO; Trueheart, Blanche - CNCS/HQPO1/BTRUEHEA; Walker, Elinor
Subject: FW: DRAFT RESPONSE TO DRAFT AUDIT-MEETIN
Importance: High

This message is being forwarded by Ida Green. Update your calendars folks!!

From: Moore, Dusty on Mon, Mar 18, 1996 11:48 AM
Subject: DRAFT RESPONSE TO DRAFT AUDIT-MEETING
To: Wooten, Cynthia; Woodard, Simon; Wilson, Larry; Waldman, Steven; Toscano, J; Spevacek, David N.; Sofer, Gene; Sisk, Catherine T.; Sagawa, Shirley; Russell, Terry; Martini, Sandra; Kowalczyk, Gary; Kenefick, Mike; Jospin, Debbie; Gray, Tracy; Franklin, Norman; Flemming, Thomas M.; Driscoll, Jim; DiFazio, Carmine; Cohen, Don; Cavallo, Guy; Bevan, Larry; Berning, Judy; Ben Ezra, Peter; Beaulieu, Phyllis

The Draft Response to Draft Audit (Auditability Assessment) meeting will be held:

WEDNESDAY MARCH 20, 1996
2:00pm - 5:00pm
Conference Room #8410

Thompson, Avelina

From: Sagawa, Shirley
Sent: Monday, March 11, 1996 9:19 AM
To: Dennis, Kathleen
Cc: Thompson, Avelina
Subject: RE: schedule

Ok -- check with Avelina about a time.

From: Dennis, Kathleen
Sent: Friday, March 08, 1996 11:24 AM
To: Sagawa, Shirley
Subject: schedule

I would really like the opportunity to speak to you in the near future regarding A*VISTA PSOs-- structure, staff involvement, etc. Thanks

Sagawa, Shirley

Thursday, March 21, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	
:30	Bob Shidowers re e-mail
10:00	Harris/Debbie re cluster directors <i>o JINS</i>
:30	
11:00	Ann Maura C/Susan S/Cecilia C/Melinda H/Judy Karasik/Gretchen V re...
:30	
12:00	
:30	
1:00	Susan S / w/ Calvin + Britt Roper K-12 funding streams
:30	Don M & Tracy G re "Hands on Atlanta" update
2:00	Harris/Tracy G / Gene S & others followup on option papers 8412
:30	
3:00	
:30	Reauthorization Working Group 8414
4:00	
:30	
5:00	Jina S & Debbie J re intern program
:30	Mal Cole
6:00	
:30	
7:00	
:30	

To Do (Active):

3 Nicole lvs at 1:30 p.m./dr. appt. ...
3 Pol Wkg Group comments on...

SS stop by 8410
Ann Maura C

Donna London
228

Catherine
① corr w/ Harris
② proposal
(415) 857-9250
11:45 - 12:45

open copy (301) 654-2222

Thompson, Avelina

From: Connolly, AnnMaura
Sent: Monday, March 18, 1996 5:44 PM
To: Karasik, Judy; Sagawa, Shirley; Calvo, Cecilia; Hudson, Melinda@CNCS MS Mail S; Stroud, Susan@CNCS MS Mail Ser; Van der Veer, Gretchen@CNCS MS
Cc: Thompson, Avelina; Josephson, Markus@CNCS MS Mail
Subject: Wingspread Meeting

We'll get together Thursday, March 21 at 11am in room 8501 to discuss goals, outcomes, objectives and invitees for the Wingspread meeting on service and youth serving organizations.

THANKS.

Thompson, Avelina

From: Mathis, Donald
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 1996 11:28 AM
To: Thompson, Avelina
Cc: Green, Ida
Subject: Meeting with Shirley on 3/21
Importance: High

(it's Janna from Don's machine - expect Win95 update this p.m. and thus out of commission from my e-mail!)
Avelina - Don would like to just go with the "for sure" meeting at 1:30 on Thurs., 3/21 to speak with Shirley about the Hands On Atlanta cooperative agreement. He would like Tracy to be there too. I spoke with Ida and she said that will work.
Talk with you later I hope!

Thompson, Avelina

From: Green, Ida
Sent: Friday, March 15, 1996 10:01 AM
To: Ekstrom, Jim; Potter, Lance; Heinaru, Peter; Sagawa, Shirley; Waldman, Steven; Cohen, Bruce; Kari, Carolyn; Rymph, David; Sofer, Gene; Gray, Tracy@CNCS MS Mail Serve; Jospin, Debbie@CNCS MS Mail Se; Rosenberry, Peg@CNCS MS Mail S
Cc: Thompson, Avelina; Trueheart, Blanche; Marchione, Janna; Walker, Elinor; Perdue, Patricia; Ihator, laurel@CNCS MS Mail Se; Gale, Jeffrey@CNCS MS Mail Ser
Subject: RE: Option Paper Review Meeting

Due to changes in Harris' schedule, the option paper review meeting has been changed to Thursday, March 21st (2:30-3:30pm) in room 8412. Please let me know if you are unable to attend.

Thanks for your cooperation and sorry for the inconvenience.

From: Green, Ida
To: Sagawa, Shirley; Jospin, Debbie@CNCS MS Mail Se; Waldman, Steven; Cohen, Bruce; Kari, Carolyn; Potter, Lance; Rosenberry, Peg@CNCS MS Mail S; Rymph, David; Ekstrom, Jim; Sofer, Gene; Heinaru, Peter; Gray, Tracy@CNCS MS Mail Serve
Cc: Walker, Elinor; Trueheart, Blanche; Thompson, Avelina; Marchione, Janna; Gale, Jeffrey@CNCS MS Mail Ser; Ihator, laurel@CNCS MS Mail Se; Perdue, Patricia
Subject: Option Paper Review Meeting
Date: Thursday, March 14, 1996 4:59PM

Another followup meeting to complete the review of the option papers with Harris has been scheduled for Tuesday, March 19th (3:00-4:00) in room 8410. Please let me know if you are unable to attend.

Thank you!

Sagawa, Shirley

Friday, March 22, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	Panel discussion/Campus Outreach Opportunity League (COOL) at GW University LISNER AUDITORIUM 21st & H Streets NW
:30	
10:00	
:30	
11:00	Don Mathis re 1996 Annual Plan & Objectives
:30	
12:00	Lunch w/Adele Robinson (will come here) (822-7326) Reservation at HAAD THAI
:30	
1:00	
:30	1:45 p.m. Diana L
2:00	Peter H/M/Tracy G re AmeriCorps Leaders Year Three 8501
:30	
3:00	3:15PM - 4:15PM AmeriCorps Cost Reforms w/Lance, Gary, Tracy, David, Gene, Peter, Mike K
:30	
4:00	
:30	Tracy G/Jim E/Diana A/Peter H/Cecilia C/David R & Nicole re reinventing AmeriCorps Forum 8412
5:00	
:30	Bruce C & Mark M re recruitment display units
6:00	
:30	
7:00	
:30	

To Do (Active):

3 starts on Wed 3/20/96, ends on...
 3 3pm Gloria J 9520 starts on Fri...
 3 Pol Wkg Group comments on...

TAH
8.00

Thompson, Avelina

From: COOL STAFF[SMTP:coolconf@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 1996 2:43 PM
To: ssagawa
Cc: athompso
Subject: COOL national conference

Dear Ms. Sagawa:

On behalf of the Campus Outreach Opportunity League, I invite you to participate in a panel discussion at the 1996 COOL National Conference on Student Community Service, which will be held at The George Washington University in Washington, DC, March 21-24, 1996. We expect to draw nearly 2,000 student and Americorps members from all over the nation.

The Campus Outreach Opportunity League is a national, nonprofit organization that promotes and supports student involvement in community service. Based in Washington, DC, COOL is run by a staff of highly creative and energetic recent college graduates and current students. Through training and consulting, programs, publications, conferences and other services, we help student leaders to improve their capacity to organize other students into effective and meaningful community service. Since 1984, we have worked with over 1,000 campuses throughout the nation to strengthen or start community service programs.

One of our most powerful tools for reaching and connecting students committed to achieving positive social change is our annual National Conference on Student Community Service. Each year, for the past twelve years, we have convened what is now the premier meeting for students, faculty, administrators, and community leaders committed to student community service. Through numerous speakers, panels and over 150 workshops, the conference provides participants with an opportunity to build skills in such areas as fundraising, coalition building, volunteer recruitment and retention, and diversity training. The conference gives students the opportunity to learn and build from one another's experiences, accomplishments, and challenges, as they collaborate, conduct workshops, and address some of the most pressing issues facing communities across the country. The event is living proof that students, unfortunately mislabeled as "Generation X", are striving to make a positive and lasting difference in the world around them.

We at COOL are well aware of your commitment to promoting and perpetuating community service, particularly through your experience in the area of national service. We would be honored to have you participate in our opening panel discussion, entitled "Transforming Our Communities", which will take place Friday, March 22 from 9am until 10:30am.

If you have any questions regarding conference format or programming, please contact me at 202-994-2843. I will call you next week to follow up this invitation.

Sincerely,

3/14
S. Harris is not
able to do this, so
they are asking you.
If you want to do,
the calendar is
open. A
Yes ✓
No —

Suzanne Isack
National Meetings Director

1996 COOL National Conference on Student Community Service

Thompson, Avelina

From: Spitale, Nicole
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 1996 11:07 AM
To: Potter, Lance; Heinaru, Peter; Rymph, David; Kowalczyk, Gary; Sofer, Gene; Gray, Tracy@CNCS MS Mail Serve; Kenefick, Mike@CNCS MS Mail Se; Algra, Diana@CNCS MS Mail Serv
Cc: Thompson, Avelina; Marchione, Janna; Moore, Dusty; Green, Ida; Perdue, Patricia
Subject: AmeriCorps Cost Reforms

Shirley has requested a meeting on the above subject for Friday, March 22 at 3:00 pm in room 8412. This will be followed by the Reinventing AmeriCorps Forum meeting (at 4:00 pm in the same room) which many of you are involved in. Please let me know if you will not be able to attend. Thank you.

Thompson, Avelina

For Fr. M
3/22

From: COOL STAFF[SMTP:coolconf@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 1996 3:36 PM
To: ssagawa
Cc: athompso
Subject: COOL conference

Dear Shirley,
Thanks so much for agreeing to participate in our conference. We are
pleased to have you join us.
Here is the most pressing information:

Day: Friday, March 22

Time: 9-10:30am

Where: Lisner Auditorium; corner of 21st and H

Panel, entitled, "Transforming Our Communities"

Please be prepared to answer the following questions (5 minutes each)

- What is community?
- What is your vision for your community?
- What are you doing to transform your community?

I look forward to meeting you. Please call with questions (202) 994 - 2843

With warm regards,
Suzanne Isack
National Meetings Director

1996 COOL National Conference on Student Community Service

3/20
Please return folder
A

Withdrawal/Redaction Marker

Clinton Library

DOCUMENT NO. AND TYPE	SUBJECT/TITLE	DATE	RESTRICTION
002. voucher	re: [Personally Identifiable Information] [Partial] (1 page)	03/26/1996	b(6)

COLLECTION:

Clinton Presidential Records
National Service
Shirley Sagawa
OA/Box Number: 24268

FOLDER TITLE:

Calendars, Sagawa - March 1996 [2]

2013-0661-F
jp4949

RESTRICTION CODES

Presidential Records Act - [44 U.S.C. 2204(a)]

- P1 National Security Classified Information [(a)(1) of the PRA]
- P2 Relating to the appointment to Federal office [(a)(2) of the PRA]
- P3 Release would violate a Federal statute [(a)(3) of the PRA]
- P4 Release would disclose trade secrets or confidential commercial or financial information [(a)(4) of the PRA]
- P5 Release would disclose confidential advice between the President and his advisors, or between such advisors [(a)(5) of the PRA]
- P6 Release would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy [(a)(6) of the PRA]

C. Closed in accordance with restrictions contained in donor's deed of gift.

PRM. Personal record misfile defined in accordance with 44 U.S.C. 2201(3).

RR. Document will be reviewed upon request.

Freedom of Information Act - [5 U.S.C. 552(b)]

- b(1) National security classified information [(b)(1) of the FOIA]
- b(2) Release would disclose internal personnel rules and practices of an agency [(b)(2) of the FOIA]
- b(3) Release would violate a Federal statute [(b)(3) of the FOIA]
- b(4) Release would disclose trade secrets or confidential or financial information [(b)(4) of the FOIA]
- b(6) Release would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy [(b)(6) of the FOIA]
- b(7) Release would disclose information compiled for law enforcement purposes [(b)(7) of the FOIA]
- b(8) Release would disclose information concerning the regulation of financial institutions [(b)(8) of the FOIA]
- b(9) Release would disclose geological or geophysical information concerning wells [(b)(9) of the FOIA]

FOR: Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Relations

CLAIM FOR REIMBURSEMENT FOR EXPENDITURES ON OFFICIAL BUSINESS		1. DEPARTMENT OR ESTABLISHMENT, BUREAU, DIVISION OR OFFICE Corporation for National Service		2. VOUCHER NUMBER	
				3. SCHEDULE NUMBER	
Read the Privacy Act Statement on the back of this form.					
4. CLAIMANT	a. NAME (Last, first, middle initial) Sofer, Eugene F.		(b)(6)		5. PAID BY [002]
	c. MAILING ADDRESS (include ZIP Code) Room 8513 1201 New York Avenue, N.W.		d. OFFICE TELEPHONE NUMBER 606-5000, Ext 246		

6. EXPENDITURES (If fare claimed in col. (g) exceeds charge for one person, show in col. (h) the number of additional persons which accompanied the claimant.)

DATE 19__	C O D E	Show appropriate code in col. (b): A—Local travel B—Telephone or telegraph, or C—Other Expenses (itemized)		MILEAGE RATE c	AMOUNT CLAIMED				
		(Explain expenditures in specific detail.)			MILEAGE (f)	FARE OR TOLL (g)	ADD. PER- SONS (h)	TIPS AND MISCEL- LANEOUS (i)	
		(a)	(b)	(c) FROM					(d) TO
2/29			1201 N.Y. Av.	SENATE Russell Bldg.			4.00		
			Senate Russell Bldg.	1201 N.Y. Av.			4.00		
3/4			1201 N.Y. Av.	Hart Senate Bldg.			4.00		
3/6			1201 N.Y. Av.	Old Executive Office Bldg.			4.00		
			Old EOB	1201 N.Y. Av.			4.00		
3/8			1201 N.Y. Av.	Old Executive Office Bldg.			4.00		
			Old Executive Office Bldg.	1815 H St. NW			4.00		
			1815 H St. NW	1201 N.Y. Av.			4.00		
3/11			1201 N.Y. Av.	Old Executive Office Bldg.			4.00		
			Old Executive Office Bldg.	1201 N.Y. Av.			6.00	2	Wofford Sagawa
If additional space is required continue on the back.				SUBTOTALS CARRIED FORWARD FROM THE BACK			54.00		

8. This claim is approved. Long distance telephone calls, if shown, are certified as necessary in the interest of the Government. (Note: If long distance calls are included, the approving official must have been authorized, in writing, by the head of the department or agency to so certify (31 U.S.C. 680a).)

Sign Original Only

APPROVING
OFFICIAL
SIGN HERE

Tracy

DATE

3/26/96

9. This claim is certified correct and proper for payment.

Sign Original Only

AUTHORIZED
CERTIFYING
OFFICER
SIGN HERE

DATE

ACCOUNTING CLASSIFICATION

96-30200B81-2101

10. I certify that this claim is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief and that payment or credit has not been received by me.

Sign Original Only

CLAIMANT
SIGN HERE

Eugene F. Sofer

DATE

3/26/96

11.

CASH PAYMENT RECEIPT

a. PAYEE (Signature)

b. DATE RECEIVED

c. AMOUNT

\$

12. PAYMENT MADE
BY CHECK NO.

CLINTON LIBRARY PHOTOCOPY

Sagawa, Shirley

Monday, March 25, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	
:30	Mal C/Debbie J/Diana A & Peter H re service delivery system memo ... 8501
10:00	Management Working Group 8501
:30	
11:00	Shirley left for home
:30	Jim S re talking points for Harris re cluster directors (see draft in your Fri...
12:00	
:30	
1:00	Tracy G/Mike K & Gary K re 96 grants 8501
:30	
2:00	Chris M & Nicole re internet use
:30	
3:00	Grantsmaker forum update w/ Ann M
:30	
4:00	
:30	Sr. Staff Meeting Room 8410
5:00	
:30	
6:00	
:30	
7:00	
:30	

To Do (Active):

3 Pol Wkg Group comments on...

~~re schedule~~

~~re schedule~~

~~re schedule~~

~~re schedule~~

Avelina
COI 2-4 pm
TG's Conf room

Shirley + MATT NOT
awake

Di + ra 429 8744
Karan update
DC initiative
other programs
Jim E.
137



Thompson, Avelina

From: Green, Ida
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 1996 11:34 AM
To: Sagawa, Shirley; Kowalczyk, Gary; Kenefick, Mike@CNCS MS Mail Se
Cc: Thompson, Avelina; Gray, Tracy@CNCS MS Mail Serve
Subject: 1996 Grants

A meeting has been scheduled at Tracy's request to discuss 1996 grants, on Monday, March 25 at 1:00pm in room 8501. Please let me know ASAP if you are unable to attend.

Thank you!

Sagawa, Shirley

Tuesday, March 26, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	
:30	
10:00	Team Leaders (small) 8501
:30	Policy Working Group 84102
11:00	
:30	
12:00	Fran Rothstein, Pres, Coalition for National & Community Service (301 656-7675) & Alan Lopatin, Director of Coalition
:30	
:00	
:30	Gretchen V to brief you on UMD Center for Policy Leadership/Kellog...
2:00	Lisette N/Val W/Nancy M/Cecilia C & Jorina Ahmed (State Prog Dir by...
:30	
3:00	Harris/Tracy/Debbie/Steve more on AmeriCorps options papers 8501
:30	
4:00	Debby J/Anne M/Hank O/Terry R/Susan S& Tracy G re leadership planning meeting 8501
:30	
5:00	
:30	
6:00	
:30	
7:00	
:30	

Debbie's housekeeping items

rechedule

Message for Jospin, Debbie

From: Thompson, Avelina
Date: Fri, Mar 22, 1996 2:13 PM
Subject: FW: leadership summit
To: Dalpiaz, Elaine; Oltmann, Hank; Russell, Terry; Connolly, AnnMaura; Gray, Tracy; Jospin, Debbie; Hudson, Melinda; Stroud, Susan

How is Tuesday, March 26 from 4-5 p.m. in 8501? Please call me on 394 as soon as possible. Thanks.

From: Sagawa, Shirley
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 1996 9:26 AM
To: Dalpiaz, Elaine; Oltmann, Hank; Russell, Terry; Connolly, AnnMaura; Gray, Tracy@CNCS MS Mail Serve; Jospin, Debbie@CNCS MS Mail Se; Hudson, Melinda@CNCS MS Mail S; Stroud, Susan@CNCS MS Mail Ser
Cc: Thompson, Avelina
Subject: leadership summit

Harris asked me to put together a meeting of folks who have experience running events similar to the Leadership Summit he is planning with the Points of Light Foundation. The purpose of the meeting would be to map out a timeline and decision points, and raise questions that the group planning this event need to answer. As I have not been very involved in this, I'm not sure what has been done to date, but I know Melinda, AnnMaura, and others do. Avelina will contact you about a day and time -- put your thinking caps on! Melinda, et al, if you want to share any information with this group that would be helpful, please do.

ROUTING AND TRANSMITTAL SLIP

Date 3/21

TO: (Name, office symbol, room number, building, Agency/Post)

Initials

Date

Shurley

2.

3. P.S. Frank asked to bring him
4. along. He'll be town on that
5. day.

Action	File	Note and Return
Approval	For Clearance	Per Conversation
As Requested	For Correction	Prepare Reply
Circulate	For Your Information	See Me
Comment	Investigate	Signature
Coordination	Justify	

REMARKS

From Rothstein & Alon
COPIATION are coming
to see you on Tues. March 21
at 12 N. They asked if you
want to have lunch.

DO NOT use this form as a RECORD of approvals, concurrences, disposals, clearances, and similar actions

FROM: (Name, org. symbol, Agency/Post)

Room No.—Bldg.

Phone No.

5041-102

☆ U.S.G.P.O.: 1993 342-198/80005

OPTIONAL FORM 41 (Rev. 7-76)
Prescribed by GSA
FPMR (41 CFR) 101-11.206

TO Shirley

DATE 3/15/96 TIME 3:55pm

PHONE CALLS
"WHILE OUT" RECORD

M. From Rothstein

OF _____

PHONE 301 656-7675

AREA CODE NUMBER EXTENSION

TELEPHONED	PLEASE CALL
CALLED TO SEE YOU	RETURNED CALL
WILL CALL AGAIN	URGENT

MESSAGE WANTS to set up an appt to talk abt the future of NATIC directs under new appropriation scheme. Doing it on behalf of Youth Volunteer Corps & Nat'l & Community Service Coalition.

TAKEN BY: Act

I told Peter H aft This request. Do you want to do? Should anyone else do?

From Rothstein 12-3/26 w/ Alan Lopatin
to talk abt future of NATIC directs
301 656-7675 under new appr. scheme
on behalf of Youth Volunteer Corps of America & Nat'l & Comm Serv. Coalition

✓
yes

Sagawa, Shirley

Friday, March 15, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	
:30	L&S evaluation findings 9520
10:00	
:30	
11:00	Diana A/Peg R/Mike K/Hank O/Terry R/Debbie J/Susan S re ed awards 8501
:30	
12:00	
:30	Lunch w/Yasmina Vinci (she'll come here)
1:00	
:30	
2:00	
:30	Susan S re priorities
3:00	
:30	Joe Suszko (at Terry R's suggestion)
4:00	
:30	Jim S
5:00	
:30	
6:00	
:30	
7:00	
:30	

To Do (Active):

3 call Joe starts on Fri 3/15/96,...

Thompson, Avelina

From: Calvo, Cecilia
Sent: Friday, March 15, 1996 5:55 PM
To: Thompson, Avelina
Subject: FW: Pittsburgh Conference

FYI

From: Calvo, Cecilia
To: Murphy, Nancy@CNCS MS Mail Ser; Wheeler, Val; Nieves, Lisette; Ahmed, Jorina
Cc: Stroud, Susan@CNCS MS Mail Ser; Sagawa, Shirley
Subject: Pittsburgh Conference
Date: Friday, March 15, 1996 5:27PM

After a successful meeting last week with the Pittsburgh Early Childhood Development Team, Shirley thought it would be a good idea to convene all the folks who work with the state of Pennsylvania to brief you on the initiative and to see how the Corporation might play a role in the future.

I hope you can attend a meeting on Tuesday, March 26 at 2:00 pm in room 8501. Please let me know if this doesn't work for you. Jorina -- we will conference you in by phone.

We have a briefing paper on the initiative which I can get out to those of you who would like a little more background on the initiative. Please let me know if you would like a copy.

MEMORANDUM FOR DISTRIBUTION

To: Policy Leadership Working Group

From: Nicole Spitale

Re: Policy Leadership Working Group Minutes

Date: March 15, 1996

Attached are minutes from the March 13th Policy Working Group meeting. Sections marked by a "⇒" denote discussion items which require further action from working group staff. Please let me know if you have any questions. I can be reached at Ext. 484. Thank you.

Distribution:

Diana Algra
Mal Coles
Tom Endres
Tracy Gray
Gary Kowalczyk
Myong Lee
Diana London
David O'Brien
Lance Potter
Terry Russell
Shirley Sagawa
Gene Sofer
Nicole Spitale
Susan Stroud
Steve Waldman
Larry Wilson

Policy Leadership Working Group Minutes
3/13/96

In attendance: Diana Algra, Mal Coles, Tom Endres, Tracy Gray, Gary Kowalczyk, Myong Lee, Diana London, David O'Brien, Lance Potter, Terry Russell, Shirley Sagawa, Gene Sofer, Nicole Spitale, Susan Stroud, Steve Waldman, Larry Wilson

I. Announcements

The Mikulski Amendment to restore FY '96 funding to the Corporation will possibly reach the Senate floor today.

✓ Shirley requested that everyone in the group submit information on upcoming grants and contracts for the rest of the fiscal year (due to Nicole by Tuesday, March 26).

David O'Brien will be starting a new position as part of the Minority staff of the Senate Committee on Labor and Human Resources.

The Grassley press conference, in which the Senator will be voicing his support for national service, will be held today at 3:00 pm in the Mansfield room of the Capital building, Senate side. Steve Waldman suggested that several staff members attend to fill the room and show support.

II. White House Meeting with Leon Panetta

Panetta agreed with our strategy of working with Grassley. In terms of reauthorization, consensus was made to proceed cautiously -- it's okay if reauthorization doesn't happen this year because we may get a better deal next year. Gene added, however, in terms of internal strategy, we should continue working on reauthorization as if it could happen before the end of the fiscal year.

⇒ Shirley suggested that we need to go over the cost reforms numbers that Lance Potter and David Rymph have been working on and that we need to convene an internal meeting on the subject.

Nicole is setting up.

III. Public comments on Reauthorization

Shirley commended to everyone to look at their relevant sections of the comments from the field, which have been organized by the Office of the General Counsel. The GC's database can be queried by program area and subject area. Shirley summarized the results as "90% validating of what we're already doing."

⇒ Members of the Policy Working Group were given a deadline of Thursday, March 21, to review their related sections. Pertinent issues not already discussed in internal reauthorization meetings should be forwarded to Terry Russell. Terry will assemble a list of all these issues to be discussed at the next Policy Working Group Meeting (March 26, 1996).

⇒ Harris will need to be briefed on these comments.

IV. Discussion of March 11th memo "Summary of Reauthorization Meetings"

Page 4 - "Funding Allocation"

Will be discussed with the Board when we do the L&SA implementation plan.

Does it require any changes in the statute? Perhaps the need for more K-12 flexibility.

The G.C. office should look at this again in an attempt to remove some of the restrictions on K-12 grants.

Page 4 - Federal Agencies

dropped.

Page 5 - Match Requirements

Issue remains: Can federal funds make the match?

⇒

This is a issue which needs to be discussed with Harris. Harris' reform proposal will need to be added to this section. Tom Endres said that the Senior Corps had developed a plan for continuing federal programs. Diana Algra and Tom Endres will discuss ways of adapting this policy to AmeriCorps National/State programs.

Page 5 - State Commission/AmeriCorps*National Relationship

Does not require statutory change because the "consultation clause" could be interpreted more robustly.

Page 5 - Statutorily-Required Grant Application Information

Leave as is.

Page 6 - Gary's point to use AmeriCorps Members in for-profit businesses. Happens when Members work on rural farms. Inconclusive??

Page 6 - Volunteer Generation

Leave as is.

Page 6 - AmeriCorps Leaders

Leave as is.

Page 6 - Three-year part-time

Do by Regs.

Page 7 - Cash Benefit Option

⇒ Diana London (with assistance from Gary Kowalczyk) will prepare a pro/con memo to Harris summarizing the issue of "transition assistance vs. educational opportunity."

Page 9 - Resource-Generating Activities

The group came to a consensus that a "for-profit" venture was inappropriate. However, this topic raised two related issues:

1. Shirley said that the Corporation should have a lot more publications available to a wider audience for a minimal fee (not unlike how other federal agencies operate). Gary informed the group that the Corporation needs legislative authority for a revolving fund to in order to do this. Gary will draft the language for this.
2. Terry Russell raised the "highly volatile" issue of fee-for-service. Tom Endres agreed that this is a issue which keeps resurfacing in reference to the Senior Corps. **Diana Algra suggested that we convene a discussion of fee for service.** Terry has a explanatory document which explains pros and cons (copies should be brought to the next Policy Leadership Working Group).

not sure if Shirley's involved.

Page 9 - VISTA and FMLA

Terry and Diana London must follow-up with Peace Corps.

Page 12 - Division H

Gene (with help from Lance and Diana London) will draft a boilerplate letter to Republican Representative Porter (Chairman of Labor/HHS Committee) to write language into the appropriations Bill to override the authorizers on this.

Page 12 - Federal Partnerships

We are dumping. Say nothing of ed award only issue, nor local collaborations.

Page 13 - Matching Funds

Discuss with Harris.

Page 14 - Purpose Clauses

Keep unless we're going to do a complete overhaul.

Page 14 - Volunteerism Policy

Keep unless we're going to do a complete overhaul.

Page 16 - Special Volunteer Programs

Do not delete demonstration authority unless it reappears somewhere else.

V. Conclusion

In conclusion, Shirley announced to everyone that this document ("Summary of Reauthorization Meetings") along with Harris' reform package will provide the basis for this year's reauthorization strategy. The Policy working group has two weeks to prepare any other issues which should be incorporated into the document. As part of this preparation, the working group should review field comments (see III. above). The reauthorization strategy discussion will close on March 26, and all materials will be forwarded to Harris for approval.

Sagawa, Shirley

Wednesday, March 27, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	University of MD Center for Policy Leadership re Kellog Grant w/Gretchen V & others 8501
:30	
10:00	Harris/Debbie J/Terry R/Gene S/Steve W/Larry W and Gary K update on issues
:30	
11:00	
:30	<i>Lois Lewis J</i>
12:00	
:30	
:00	
:30	<i>Chris & Nicole interview</i>
2:00	Catherine M/Susan S/Tracy G/Melinda H/Anne Maura C re mentoring forum 8501
:30	
3:00	DC Public School Initiative 8410
:30	
4:00	<i>coffee w/ Emily & Nicole</i>
:30	
5:00	Frances Hesselbein/Harris/Catherine/Tom E & Gretchen V & Jame M
:30	
6:00	Dinner w/Harris/Frances H & others)
:30	
7:00	
:30	

To Do (Active):

3 3-4 p.m. Field Mgmt Team in...

By R 4:17 pm

*12th Ave/1st Ave
Lunch w/ Joe
& Britt*

*Abstract CQ1
2-4 pm*

Sagawa, Shirley

Wednesday, March 27, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	University of MD Center for Policy Leadership re Kellog Grant w/Gretchen V & others 8501
:30	
10:00	Harris/Debbie J/Terry R/Gene S/Steve W/Larry W and Gary K update on issues
:30	
11:00	
:30	<i>Lucie Jordan (in her office) re Kate L. Loring</i>
12:00	
:30	
1:00	
:30	Peg R re 97 process
2:00	Catherine M/Susan S/Tracy G/Melinda H/Anne Maura C re mentoring forum 8501
:30	
3:00	DC Public School Initiative 8410
:30	
4:00	Coffee w/Emily & Nicole (this is Emily's last day. If you cannot make coffee, then we should get a little gift)
:30	
5:00	Frances Hesselbein/Harris/Catherine/Tom E & Gretchen V & Jame...
:30	
6:00	Dinner w/Harris/Frances H & others)
:30	
7:00	
:30	

To Do (Active):

3 3-4 p.m. Field Mgmt Team in...

Wed
Chick
John
Sam
Howell
Gettner

The Presidio Leadership Center
P.O. Box 29995
Building 386, Moraga Avenue
The Presidio of San Francisco 94129
(415) 561-5950 fax: (415) 561-5955

The Presidio Leadership Center
Building 386, P.O. Box 29995
The Presidio of San Francisco
California 94129
T: 415.561.5950 F: 561.5955

Corporation for National Service
AmeriCorps
Learn and Serve America
National Senior Service Corps
Getting Things Done

FAX TRANSMITTAL

★ THE PRESIDIO LEADERSHIP CENTER

Date: 3/26/96

To: Shirley Sagawa

Organization: _____

Fax Number: _____

From: Gretchen Van der Veer

Organization: _____

Remarks: Shirley - Enclosed is a first draft of an agenda for our meeting with Frances Hesselbein next week. Catherine suggested I FAX it to you for your suggestions. I will try to call you later today or e-mail you on Monday. Have a good weekend!

Number of pages (including this page): ~~2~~ 2

If problems with transmission, please call: _____

Gretchen Van der Veer, and Ann Maura Connelly
Possibly: Brian Trelstad, Jamie Merisotis, and Stephanie Clohesy

Objectives of the meeting

- To receive advice from Frances Hesselbein about the future of CNS as a non-profit and the potential to experiment by spinning off the PLC
- To allow Harris to share his vision for CNS with Frances Hesselbein
- To identify the role of the PLC within Harris' vision
- To talk about strategies for the PLC in order to fulfill the defined role
- To ask for Frances Hesselbein's commitment to continue to serve in an advisory capacity to the PLC

Agenda

1. Introductions and purpose for the meeting (Catherine)
2. PLC - summary of year one accomplishments, current climate, revised mission, and options for the future (Catherine)
3. The future of CNS and the role the PLC can play in achieving the Corporation's vision (Harris/Shirley)
4. The future of the PLC as a non-profit, strategies to consider (Catherine ask for input from Frances and group)
5. Summarize discussion into immediate next steps and additional action items (Gretchen)
6. Possibility of establishing an Advisory Working Group for the PLC (Catherine)
7. Future meeting date?

Questions

Should Gretchen take notes (on flipchart or on piece of paper)?

Univ of MD
Center for Pol. Leadership
Re Keely Grant
8-30 - 10:30 on 3/27
Catherine/Kenneth Cechi
Gretchen

Milton, Catherine

From: Sagawa, Shirley
To: Milton, Catherine
Subject: RE: Meeting Next Week
Date: Thursday, March 21, 1996 4:54PM

I'd love to go to dinner with you both.

From: Milton, Catherine
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 1996 12:24 PM
To: Sagawa, Shirley
Subject: FW: Meeting Next Week
Importance: High

Shirley --- what about dinner? I could go out alone with Frances, or whatever. Pls. advise asap

From: Trelstad, Brian
To: Milton, Catherine
Subject: FW: Meeting Next Week
Date: Thursday, March 21, 1996 12:11PM

From: Raines, Susan
To: Trelstad, Brian
Subject: RE: Meeting Next Week
Date: Thursday, March 21, 1996 2:53PM

Brian, the meeting with Frances Hesselbein is in Harris' office at 5 pm. It will last as long as necessary. He is no longer able to go to dinner - please tell Catherine. He will have to leave at approximately 7:15. The meeting can go on until then, or the rest of the group - Catherine, you, Gretchen Van der Veer and Shirley - can go to dinner whenever you are ready. Why don't you check with Gretchen - ext. 441 here.

Since you will be in the 5 pm meeting, do you still want to meet with Harris earlier?

From: Trelstad, Brian
To: Raines, Susan
Subject: Meeting Next Week
Date: Thursday, March 21, 1996 9:48AM

Susan-

I am planning to be in Washington next week (flying back east on frequent flier miles for an engagement party that my parents are having for my fiance and me), and wanted to know about two things:

1) Catherine said that if possible, I should try to get to the 3/27 meeting at 5pm with Frances Hesselbein and Harris. Is this meeting at the Corporation? What is its duration? Catherine also asked me to ask about the dinner, and whether or not it would be appropriate for me to attend. Either way is fine with me, but I wanted to check in with you. I'd love to go, but realize that it may be a smaller dinner.

2) When Harris was out here on Sunday, I mentioned that I might be around next week and he wanted me to check with you if he had 15 minutes on Thursday or Friday morning (I have since scheduled something at 10am on Friday, but am free otherwise)... I may also be around all of Wed afternoon, depending on my involvement with 1) (above) and whether or not I decide to take the red-eye.

Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks,

Brian

Thompson, Avelina

From: Van der Veer, Gretchen
Sent: Monday, March 11, 1996 5:01 PM
To: Milton, Catherine; Sagawa, Shirley - CNCS/HQPO1/SSAGAWA; Gray, Tracy
Cc: Coward, Diane; Green, Ida; Raines, Susan; Thompson, Avelina - CNCS/HQPO1/ATHOMPSO
Subject: meeting with Frances Hesselbein

Hi everyone. I just heard from Susan Raines that the meeting with Frances Hesselbein r.e. the future of the Presidio Leadership Center is confirmed at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 27. My guess is we'll meet in Harris' office. Those in attendance will be Harris, Frances, Shirley, Tracy, Catherine, and Gretchen. Anyone else we need to invite/include? Anyway, Harris has said that after the meeting he would like to go to dinner with Frances and I guess Catherine and I will go too. Tracy and Shirley do you think you could join us? Does anyone have any suggestions on where we should go so I can make reservations? (Diane, I know Catherine is in Connecticut. Could you get this word to her? Thanks!)

S 3/12
mtg is at 5:00 pm
on 3/27
Do you want to go
on to dinner?
H

yes

202 136-6612

Sagawa, Shirley

Thursday, March 28, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	
:30	Grantmakers Forum update w/Anne Maura C/Gene S & others 8501
10:00	Terry R/Gene S/Tracy G/Debbie J & Diana A re state commissions
:30	
11:00	Rick Stamberger, Chrman, Youth Service America (202/429-8744), re...
:30	
12:00	
:30	
:00	
:30	Diana L re how far can we go w/o full year budget?
2:00	
:30	Larry Williams (x497) re what Harris has asked him to do.
3:00	
:30	Reauthorization Working Group 8414
4:00	
:30	Don S & Debbie briefing on Hands on Atlanta meeting on Friday, March 29
5:00	
:30	
6:00	
:30	
7:00	
:30	

Other appointments:

6:00AM-6:30AM

To Do (Active):

3 starts on Thu 3/28/96, ends on...
3 3-4 p.m. Field Mgmt Team in...

grant maker
w/ Nick Bollman
Irvine Hill

8410

TO	Shirley	yes	no	delay
DATE	3/22/96	TIME	9:30	
PHONE CALLS				
"WHILE OUT" RECORD				
M.	Rick Stamberger	what		
OF	NATL Strategy	topic		
	Chmn Youth Service America			
PHONE	(202) 429-8744			
AREA CODE	NUMBER	EXTENSION		
TELEPHONED		PLEASE CALL		
CALLED TO SEE YOU		RETURNED CALL		
WILL CALL AGAIN		URGENT		
MESSAGE	wants to see			
	ya Thurs or Fri 7			
	next week			
	will you need any			
	prep to meet w/ him?			
	I need to call him back before			
	he leaves for TX this afternoon			
TAKEN BY:	A			

Sagawa, Shirley

Thursday, March 28, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	
:30	Grantmakers Forum update w/Anne Maura C/Gene S & others 8501
10:00	Terry R/Gene S/Tracy G/Debbie J & Diana A re state commissions
:30	
11:00	Rick Stamberger, Chrman, Youth Service America, re Corp politics &... (202) 429-8744 - Diana
:30	
12:00	
:30	
.00	
:30	Diana A & others re fee for service 8501 ? Diana L how for use em for w/o full yr budget?
2:00	
:30	Tracy G/Mike K & Gary K re '96 grants Larry Williams x497 re what Harris has asked him to do.
3:00	Rebinder / Come re Mark A & Harris re authorization update on priorities
:30	Reauthorization Working Group 8414
4:00	
:30	Don C & Debbie opening on hands on Atlanta meeting on Friday, March... set
5:00	
:30	
6:00	
:30	
7:00	
:30	

Other appointments:

6:00AM-6:30AM

To Do (Active):

3 starts on Thu 3/28/96, ends on...

mtg w/ Kassenbaum staff
Covers & Dave
Spears
1
Cory
authorization update
formal

Larry was
100% from grant
That Harris is
x497 asked

Sagawa, Shirley

Thursday, March 28, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	
:30	Grant meters follow up date w/ GHN McGonigals
10:00	Terry R/ Genes/ Tracy G/ Debbie J & Diana A re state Commission 8721
:30	
11:00	Rick Stanbarger, Chm, 4 Service ^{out} Anna
:30	
12:00	
:30	
:00	
:30	Diana A & others re fee for service 8501
2:00	
:30	Tracy/ Etnike L & Gary K re 96 grants
3:00	
:30	Reauthorization Working Group 8414
4:00	
:30	Chris P & Debbie A re use of internet
5:00	1
:30	
6:00	
:30	
7:00	
:30	

Other appointments:

6:00AM-6:30AM

To Do (Active):

3 starts on Thu 3/28/96, ends on...
3 2-4 p.m. Avelina CQI starts on...
3 Pol Wkg Group comments on...

Corp pol 1, cs
AUSA
555
Selecting your
TATA

—Doris & Debbie bring
Rick Stanbarger
202 429-8744
2-4 pm Avelina
CQI

Rick Stamberger, YSA ---
 Proposal in for T&TA
 Shirley is selecting
 officer -- put to
 or have someone else
 handle.

ROUTING AND TRANSMITTAL SLIP

Date 3/22

TO: (Name, office symbol, room number, building, Agency/Post)

Initials Date

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

Action	File	Note and Reply
Approval	For Clearance	Per Conversation
As Requested	For Correction	Prepare Reply
Circulate	For Your Information	See Me
Comment	Investigate	Signature
Coordination	Justify	

REMARKS

Richard Stamberger, Chairman
 Youth Service America,
 is coming to see you on
 Thurs, March 28 at 11:00
 am.

Subject: Corp. politics &
 YSA

DO NOT use this form as a RECORD of approvals, concurrences, disapprovals, clearances, and similar actions

FROM: (Name, org. symbol, Agency/Post)

Room No. Bldg.

Phone No.

5041-102

☆ U.S.G.P.O.: 1993 342-198/80005

OPTIONAL FORM 41 (Rev. 7-76)
Prescribed by GSA
FPMR (41 CFR) 101-11.206

Sagawa, Shirley

Friday, March 29, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	
:30	
10:00	
:30	Chris & Nicole re use of internet
11:00	Bruce Cohen
:30	
12:00	Michelle Nunn, Hands on Atlanta & others 8410
:30	
:00	
:30	
2:00	
:30	
3:00	
:30	Tom Endres
4:00	Karen H & Gretchen (for 1/2 hr re Presidio and NSC program attendees)
:30	
5:00	
:30	
6:00	
:30	
7:00	
:30	

To Do (Active):

3 starts on Wed 3/27/96, ends on...

Late
Lunch w/ Lance
P

Sagawa, Shirley

Friday, March 29, 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

9:00	
:30	
10:00	
:30	Chris & Nicole re use of internet
11:00	Mar C/Debbie J/Diana A & Peter H re service delivery system memo...
:30	
12:00	Michelle Nunn, Hands on Atlanta & others
:30	
1:00	
:30	
2:00	
:30	
3:00	
:30	
4:00	Karen H (+ Gretchen for 1/2 hr)
:30	Presidio & HSC program attendees
5:00	
:30	
6:00	
:30	
7:00	
:30	

Bruce Cohen

(703) 602 7534
Crystal Cady

Sagawa, Shirley

March 1996

S	M	T	W	T	F	S
					1	2
3	4	5	6	7	8	9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16
17	18	19	20	21	22	23
24	25	26	27	28	29	30
31						

Friday, March 29, 1996

8:00	p	
8:30		
9:00		Used for Grantmakers Forum
9:30		in NALC Service
10:00		
10:30		Chris & Nicole meet & internet
11:00		Mal C / Debbie J / Diana A + Peter H re service delivery system name
11:30		
12:00		12 noon
12:30		2 - w/ How to make
1:00		
1:30		
2:00		Shirley
2:30		
3:00		
3:30		
4:00		
4:30		
5:00		
5:30		
6:00		

Thompson, Avelina

To: Connolly, AnnMaura
Subject: RE: Grantmakers Forum on National Service

I put a hold on the whole day. Will wait to hear from you. Thanks.

From: Connolly, AnnMaura
Sent: Friday, March 15, 1996 10:03 AM
To: Thompson, Avelina
Subject: FW: Grantmakers Forum on National Service

The Symposium is tentatively scheduled for April 29. I would guess that we would need Shirley for a speaking role in the afternoon, but it would probably be useful if she could plan to attend all day. I'll be back in touch next week with more specifics, but would you please hold that date on her calendar?

THANKS

From: Sagawa, Shirley
To: Connolly, AnnMaura
Subject: RE: Grantmakers Forum on National Service
Date: Friday, March 15, 1996 9:07AM

great progress. i hope we will do something to recognize their efforts. if this should be on my schedule, would you give avelina the times?

From: Connolly, AnnMaura
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 1996 1:52 PM
To: Sagawa, Shirley; Waldman, Steven; Sofer, Gene; Jospin, Debbie@CNCS MS Mail Se; Hudson, Melinda@CNCS MS Mail S
Subject: Grantmakers Forum on National Service

A brief update on the Grantmakers Forum symposium and communications strategy:

Jill Blair is making changes to the policy paper as we speak. I communicated your feedback to her and the changes will be incorporated into the paper.

On the symposium front: Nick Bollman is meeting with Les Lenkowsky, Will Marshall and Bill Galston on Monday (March 18) to further discuss roles and responsibilities and to continue shaping the event. As you may remember, the way it is structured now, the "thinkers" discussion will be held on Monday, April 29, and the grantmakers will meet by themselves the following day. I need to get to Nick a list of names of prospective panelists by noon tomorrow, so if you have any ideas other than those you have already given me, please get them to me asap. The forum will likely be structured around the three themes set forth in the paper:

1. Roles and Responsibilities: The Philosophy of Partnership
2. The Structural and Organizational Dimensions of Partnership
3. The Financial Implications of Partnership

I've sent Nick the materials from the press packet yesterday, but if there are other things you think he should see prior to the meeting, please let me know.

The Grantmakers group has retained Rick Stamberger of National Strategies and Mike Deaver, VP of Edelman Worldwide to develop and execute a communications strategy that would ensure media coverage

of the day, capture the major themes of the symposium and develop a packet to be distributed to key Members of Congress and opinion leaders that reviews the results and findings within a broader policy context.

The Grantmakers Forum is asking their colleagues to help fund the effort. So far, Kellogg has agreed to fund the communications portion of the project (about \$30,000) and is acting as "home base" (faxing agendas, organizing conference calls, mailings, fundraising); Kauffman and IBM have tentatively agreed to give \$15,000 each, and Irvine, General Mills and the New York Community Trust (which is also acting as the fiscal agent for the project) have agreed to contribute as well.

I'll distribute hard copies of the latest draft agenda and the communications proposal. Please get back to me with any feedback ASAP.

THANKS.